Just received a link from the GW newsletter to a survey, with prizes.
I find myself both amused and a little disturbed that the questions all ask, not about wargaming, but "The Games Workshop Hobby". It's like the WWE not calling it "wrestling", but rather "sports entertainment".
Let's have a look:
1. How important is the Games Workshop hobby to you?
See.. the Games Workshop hobby isn't. I have a small LOTR Rohirrim force, and two sets of rules (WAB2, Gladiator) from a part of GW that they seem to be desperately trying to disown and don't play in the shops because it doesn't sell figures. How do I answer that?
2. What other hobbies do you have? Tick all that apply.
"Wargaming"? Not an option. 3's a followup.
4. What was your main hobby/hobbies before you got into the Games Workshop hobby. Tick all that apply.
Uh... I'm not into "The Games Workshop Hobby"? Again, 5 is a followup.
6. How important are the following aspects of the Games Workshop hobby to you?
List includes most of the things us wargamers do - painting, collecting etc.
7. How important are the following aspects in making the hobby enjoyable to you.
List includes things like being creative, actually using physical models, hanging out at the store[!!], socialising, etc. Again, things I do but not within the WH/GW setting.
8. Imagine you couldn't do the Games Workshop hobby any more. What wold you do and why?